January 27, 2009

camera, camera, camera!

40D
I ordered it! I am getting a Canon EOS 40D, which comes with a Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens. But I also got a Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM lens, which was my splurge, though necessary.

I just want to say that though I am no acclaimed photographer (yet!), I have no problem and will continue to have no problem stating which equipment I use (unless it's embarrassing, like what I used to use as a digital camera!) and how to achieve whatever results I have with photography. I say that because in my experience, it is very difficult to find out what some of my favorite photographers are using, and that is not to say that it's difficult to get a hold of them, but rather that it's difficult for them to actually want to say. One answer I get, which I agree with, is that it doesn't matter what equipment you use, it's the photographer behind the camera. Well, yes, if that's true, why won't you just tell me what lens you're using, then? What they say is the reality. No matter what camera and setup you have, each photographer is different and will take different pictures. So why should a professional photographer be worried that someone else, who has to ask what equipment they are using to begin with, is going to steal their thunder or take the same photos as them? It's not going to happen, and even if it did, good for that person for being talented, you know?

My point is that I don't want to be one of those people who isn't willing to share how they do things and what they're using to achieve what they are achieving. I find that I am extremely inspired by the people around me, especially online, what with blogs and tutorials, and without that inspiration, I wouldn't be taking pictures or having a camera at all. One such inspirational person has been Bea of La Tartine Gourmande. It may sound silly, but seeing her photography is what made me stick with Canon (which I have used exclusively for digital), instead of switching to Nikon (which I use for all analog) for this new purchase.

So that's that. I can't wait to get all of the equipment (my 50mm lens is scheduled to get her on Thursday, days before the actual camera should arrive) and start shooting so I can show all of you, and also so that I can update my portfolio with more recent photography and some portraiture, which I've never done before. I asked an actress friend of mine and her filmmaker husband to pose for me next month, and they've agreed!

So, stay tuned. And oh, the shoe saga? I'm still winter boot-less, and for now I'll just wear wool socks with my rain boots. Oh, well!

No comments:

Post a Comment